Gratitude is the act of taking time to appreciate all of the things you have in your life. Practicing gratitude does not have to be anything complicated or time-consuming. Gratitude is a simple act that can pack a powerful positivity punch into your life. Gratitude not only makes us feel good, but it is also the greatest (and easiest) way to attract more abundance, love, peace, success, health, and connection to your life. The more we are grateful for what we already have, the more we end up having to be grateful for. It’s so simple!
Below is a list of ways that you can cultivate the attitude of gratitude into your life. Remember, there is no ‘right’ way to practice gratitude…find what works best for you and do it!
1. Keep a gratitude journal: In a notebook, journal or diary write down a list of what you are thankful for. Make sure to write in your journal daily, or every other day for the most powerful impact. Write in your journal right before you go to bed at night, or first thing in the morning. Writing in a gratitude journal is a great way to start or end your day with positive thoughts!
2. Write a thank-you note: Send a note expressing your thanks to someone. Studies show that expressing your gratitude to another person not only enhances the recipient’s mood but increases the happiness of the person expressing their thanks by 10%! Try to write one thank you note at least one time per month.
3. Share with a friend: Designate a gratitude partner and share what you are thankful for. This could be a spouse, best friend, your book club, anyone! So often we focus on the negative things in our lives when venting to our friends. Next time try a ‘gratitude vent session’ instead!
4. Discuss at the dinner table: Sitting around the dinner table is the best time to involve the whole family in conversations of gratitude. Have everyone say what they are thankful for before each meal.
5. Meditate: Meditation not only clears our minds and brings our focus to the present moment, but it is also a great way to express gratitude. Spend some time each day meditating on all the abundance in your life.
6. Take a gratitude walk: Get out in nature and take a mindful gratitude filled walk. Focus on all of your beautiful surroundings and feel gratitude for the amazing place that we live. Not only will you be filled with gratitude, but you will also have the added bonus of movement!
7. Pray: When speaking to God/The Universe/Your Higher Self make sure to add all of the things you are thankful for. Sometimes instead of asking for what we want, we need to give thanks for what we already have.
8. Write it on a mirror: Use an Expo marker and write on your mirror what you are thankful for. Every time you look in the mirror you will have a visual reminder to be thankful.
9. Post it on social media: tweet or post an expression of gratitude for someone at least once per week…don’t forget to ‘tag’ them!
10. Say it : Incorporate the words thank you into all aspects of your life every single day. Say thank you to a co-worker, tell your spouse, parents or children that you appreciate them. Notice all of the things in your life that have been helped or enhanced by someone else and take every opportunity to genuinely express your gratitude. Don’t forget about yourself on this one…look in the mirror and give yourself a giant Thank You because you deserve it too!!